ELEPHANTA - a small jungle-clad island between Bombay and mainland India with a huge cave temple hewn out of the solid rock, dating back to the 6th century AD. The name Elephanta, coined by the Portuguese, refers to the large sculpture of an elephant that stood at the entrance but now disappeared. In 1875, the British held a grand banquet in the main cave (above right) in honor of the Prince of Wales who was visiting India, "the brightest jewel in the Imperial crown."

 

 

 

 

Back to Map | Bombay | Kerala | Dharamsala | Khajuraho | Delhi | Varanasi